The Artists’ Workshop of New Smyrna Beach
540 Barracuda Blvd,
New Smyrna Beach, FL 32169
The Artists’ Workshop of New Smyrna Beach is a 501 (c) (3) Non Profit educational facility. Occupying today some 4,000 square feet on Barracuda Blvd, NSB. Hence, The Artists’ Workshop has grown to over 500 members and has enjoyed a three-fold growth in the number of classes offered.
Artist Workshop History
In February of 1957, fifteen creative souls responded to a notice inviting anyone interested in forming an art group. The idea of establishing a local art league had grown from just a hope to a full-fledged commitment. Together they formed New Smyrna’s first chartered art group in March 1958.
The enterprising little group approached the City Fathers and urged them to find available space. An upstairs room at 126 Canal Street, above the Parks and Recreation Department, was offered and readily accepted. The space was voluntarily renovated by the artist in exchange for its use, and the Artists’ Workshop had a home.
Three months after forming, the group had grown to 51 members who decided to put on their first public exhibit. The Bank of New Smyrna permitted their walls to become the gallery to hang 43 oils and sketches. Thereby, the first-ever art show in NSB had been received with great enthusiasm. Consequently, the Annual Membership Exhibition has continued to this day.
Workshop Continue to Grow
By 1978, with over 200 members and growing, the group had outgrown the Parks & Recreation room. Again approached the City Council to request the large room above the Chamber of Commerce at 115 Canal Street. In 1980, the Gallery downstairs adjacent to the offices of the Chamber, was opened and exists today.
In 2008, the Artists’ Workshop, The Marine Discovery Center pursued with Wildlife Foundation of FL and the City of NSB. An ECHO Grant to renovate the old NSB High School on Barracuda Blvd. The Grant provided matching funds for the renovation.
Now Occupying some 4,000 square feet of this building on Barracuda Blvd, the Artists’ Workshop has grown to over 500 members. Wherefore, has enjoyed a three-fold growth in the number of classes offered and other programs.